How to Recognize and Prevent Shoulder Injuries
Shoulder injuries can occur from almost any type of strenuous activity – particularly during sports or physical labor in the workplace. Typically, injuries to the joint or muscles in the shoulder can cause severe pain, and may even cause you to be unable to work or participate in daily activities. So it is important to take certain steps to prevent shoulder injuries from occurring.
If you have suffered a shoulder injury, please don’t hesitate to seek medical assistance. Dr. Steven Meier is a world-renowned, board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the treatment of shoulder injuries. Contact his Los Angeles orthopedic practice, Meier Orthopedic Sports Medicine, today to schedule a consultation and head toward recovery.
Symptoms of Shoulder Injury
Injuring a shoulder is especially painful because it can inhibit you from having full movement in your arms, or even being able to perform everyday tasks. Some of the warning signs that you may have a shoulder injury include:
- Shoulder pain or pain when moving the shoulder
- Shoulder weakness
- Shoulder tenderness
- Difficulty in moving the shoulder while performing activities
- Reduced range of motion in the shoulder
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, it is important to contact a shoulder specialist as soon as possible, and seek treatment for your injury.
Types of Shoulder Injuries
There are many different types of shoulder injuries, and while some may be managed using conservative methods of treatment, others may require surgery to fix the problem. Dr. Meier can assess the severity of your injury and determine the best course of treatment for you. Common shoulder injuries treated by Dr. Meier include:
- Rotator cuff tear
- Dislocated shoulder
- Separated shoulder
- Shoulder impingement syndrome
- Shoulder instability (or recurrent dislocations)
Dr. Meier is an expert in the treatment of shoulder injuries. Using minimally-invasive techniques, he performs cutting-edge arthroscopic procedures that produce life-changing results. You can learn more about these innovative procedures by contacting Dr. Meier or another member of the team at his Beverly Hills practice, Meier Orthopedic Sports Medicine.
Shoulder Injury Prevention
While not all shoulder injuries can be prevented (especially if you are a professional athlete), there are steps you can take to prevent overstressing your shoulders and to ensure healthy, strong joints.
- Exercise regularly, always remembering to warm up and/or stretch before your workout, and try to add in a cool down period so that you do not go from no activity to intense activity, or vice-versa in a very short amount of time.
- Factor in light muscle-strengthening exercises. Toning your arms and shoulders at a healthy pace can help prevent injuries during other activities.
- If you exercise frequently, you can apply heat to your shoulder before a workout to help loosen stiff muscles and tendons and prepare them for physical activity.
- Practice workplace safety, including using proper lifting techniques and taking frequent breaks to prevent sprains or strains. If you catch yourself straining with an object, STOP and find someone else to help you, or another way to accomplish the task.
Contact the Best Shoulder Surgeon in Los Angeles
If you believe you have suffered a shoulder injury, and you are interested in learning about treatment options, please don’t hesitate to contact Meier Orthopedic Sports Medicine in Beverly Hills. Dr. Meier is renowned for his expertise in treating injuries to the shoulder joint, as well as his personalized patient care.
Next, learn about osteoarthritis.